Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.08 - 4 of 7 - Patriarch Belsteed – The Avenging Disciple

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheNix, May 20, 2015.

1. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Patriarch Belsteed – The Avenging Disciple

Level: 75

St – 148 (169)
    Dx – 114 (124)
    Vt – 190 (190)
    En – 18 (21)

HP 1198
    Mana 235

Vengeance: 1361 – 1764
    FotH: 990 – 1040
    Conviction: LR 160%, Def -94%

Resists:

Fire: 75
    Cold: 75
    Ltning: 75
    Poison: 75

Skills:

Vengeance 20 (27)
    FotH 20 (27)
    Conviction 20 (27)
    Holy Shield 12 (19, 21 on switch)
    Zeal 2 (9)

Sacrifice, Holy Bolt, Smite, Charge, Blessed Hammer & Conversion 1 (8)
    Might, Blessed Aim, Holy Fire, Thorns, Holy Freeze & Sanctuary 1 (8)

Equipment:

Weapon 1:

Cruel Truncheon of Thunder (Shael, Shael)
    Rare Vortex Shield with +2 skills, All Resist, 20% Increase Block

Weapon 2:

Priest’s Rune Scepter
    Rare Aerin Shield with +2 Skills

Harlequin Crest with Um
    Dark Adherent
    Laying of Hands
    Rite of Passage
    Credendum
    Telling of Beads
    Rare Ring with resists and AR & bugged MPK ring

Merc – Level 79 (Act 5)

Guillaume's Face
    Duriel's Shell with Um
    Bul-Kathos' Sacred Charge with Shael

Random musings:

I had decided to use The Disciple set for this build before I had actually found it. So after running LK for too many hours I eventually started the build. I Started off using Zeal (as I usually do with the majority of my pallys) and as usual it chews its way through the lower levels of the game. For a change I used a 5 socket war sceptre with 3 prubies and 2 psapphires, and this definitely helped with the chewing. At first I wasn’t sure whether I’d go down the max block or the Vita route, so I kept one or two dexterity points per level in reserve just in case. In the end, the decision was more or less made for me. Even thought the LCS said I had between 65% and 75% chance to hit most monsters, missing four or five times in a row meant that I was going through my mana at an alarming rate. So I put my reserve stat points into dexterity, dropped a point into Holy Shield and never looked back.

Late in the game I was planning to start this little rave by saying “its been a long while since I’ve gone through the whole game without dying at all” but Nihlathak put pay to that – at least four times!!!! The funny thing is my merc was already dead, there were no corpses to explode and I was targeting Nillly with FotH so not damaging any of his little army of baddies. Beside that hiccup, the build was a breeze. The Cruel Truncheon was fast enough and did enough damage to easily get by. The max block kept me from most damage and I had enough hit point to cover any damage that I took. Even without CB, Hell Diablo, the Ancients and Hell Baal gave me little difficulty by simply standing there and thumping them. No subtlety was needed. The choice of FotH as a backup skill was partly due to the fact that I haven’t used it much, if at all, in the past 10 years or more and partly because I had used Smite in my 1.07 Pally build. Perhaps Smite may have been a better choice overall, but at least FotH got me through the Chaos Sanctuary without worrying about IM.

So another one down and I’m more than half way through this set now!

2. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes IncGamers Member

Cool! The second D2 character I ever made was an Avenger who used the Orphan's Call set, so these sort of characters appeal to me! This is more impressive, being untwinked. I've never tried to assemble a set untwinked, but I'm assuming the game would purposefully make it a huge pain. :)

Any weird quirks of 1.08 that affected the character? I don't know much about previous versions, and the little I know is about 1.07.

3. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I think you have misunderstood me. He was very twinked. The items I used were almost exclusively found by my 1.08 sorcerer, except the items that were brought forward from 1.07.

The best way to think of 1.08 is to think of it like 1.07, except that the useful bugs have been removed! And the mercs are totally FUBAR.

BBS_Agonistes likes this.
  4. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Congrats! Very stylish weapon! I haven't made an avenger yet, but it's always encouraging to see them do well.

Thanks for continuing your 1.08 sept and contributing all this info for those of us who might someday play that patch!

5. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes IncGamers Member

I think it was the stylish weapon that made me think untwinked. It's nice to see someone not using the cookie-cutter gear, regardless. The bugged MPK should have tipped me off, though. :D

This has happened to me on my last few Pat/Mats. I'm always so convinced I'm not going to die in A1-A3 of Hell.... Now I'm playing HC for a bit... problem solved? Or made worse?

6. Maltatai

Maltatai IncGamers Member

I've never played 1.08 in ages but it looks like a cool build. How much time is too many hours that it took to find the set?:)

Did you use conversion at any point? I've sometimes wondered if conversion and conviction could work when facing monsters with elemental attacks.

7. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I usually do full clears, leaving a monster still alive (or undead ;) ) is not in my raison d'etre! I take it personally if I have to skip a monster.

I think it was something like 10 hours to find and exploit the racks, but that was only for the Credendum and Dark Adherent though. I already had the other three!!

I've used Mind Blast a few times and I've found its conversion to be a pain in the arse, but I've never used Pally's Conversion. Sounds like an interesting theory though.

Last edited: May 23, 2015