1.07 News, Info and Gossip

WoRG

Diabloii.Net Member
@NorthDakota wow that sux! Condolences, dude

Finally took the time to read the thread from the last time I was active... Wow, so much good info there! Was rather unhappy to learn that I had been flinging really expensive sticks at cows the last few weeks when much cheaper ones would have been equally effective :oops:

@Fruit I saw that you posted that the superunique council members only ever drop from their normal TC in 1.07, does this have any impact on their rune drops?

Also, I was crafting and rolled this:
Code:
Ghoul Bar
Ogre Maul
Two-Hand Damage: 75 to 103
Durability: 47 of 60
Required Strength: 176
Required Level: 83
Mace Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 99
Fingerprint: 0x4e3512e7
+12 to Life
+14% Enhanced Damage
+253 to Attack Rating
Adds 1-7 lightning damage
2% Life stolen per hit
150% Damage to Undead
Just another crappy roll, right? I'm not so sure... the %ed is suspiciously low... blood weapons get 34-67%ed as an automod!

The ilvl (99) means it should have 4 affixes, and the rlvl (83) would suggest it rolled grandmaster's (its the only rlvl 61 affix...61+22=83) The +AR supports this (Grandmaster's gives 251-300 AR)

There are only two affixes showing...(the +life and LL automods are too low to be hiding an affix, I think)

I got to thinking...what if it rolled Cruel as well and what's happening is an overflow? I'm thinking that its possible that the game stores %ed in a 9bit field...even in modern, no rare or runeword can get more than 450%ed, so nine bits (0-511) would be enough. 1.07 crafts can get up to 580%ed, but if that value is limited to nine bits, then it would roll over to 0%ed at 512, 1% at 513, etc...

I'm thinking its a real possibility that this thing rolled 525%ed, but that it overflowed and so is only 14%ed :(

Does this sound plausible to you?

WoRG

zemaj

Diabloii.Net Member
... damn...

That actually sounds both plausible and heartbreaking. I mean, I can think of no other good explanation for it having such low +%ED...

Fruit

Diabloii.Net Member
@WoRG
Well... shit. What you're suggesting absolutely sounds plausible. Though, I have gone over this stuff, and didn't find the possibility of an overflow. But of course I may have missed something. (I assume this craft was done in 1.07, and not 1.08? Just making sure. :p)

How I understood it was:
  • Initially, there is no limit; it can exceed 511. The item's description will display "511", but that is a display bug. The value can go all the way up to 580.
  • When you leave the game however, the value will be truncated to 511, similar to how the ilvl of items gets capped to 99. If I recall correctly, this was simply done by "if value > 511, then value = 511".
  • There are "AND 511" bitwise instructions in the code, which would indeed cut off the top 23 bits while leaving only the bottom 9, essentially causing an overflow like you described, but these instructions did not seem to be used for item stat values.
  • When I went over this, I debugged an actual craft (a Grand Matron Bow) as verification, and it was in fact working as I had read it. So perhaps that things are handled differently for bows (or ranged weapons in general), compared to melee weapons.
So I don't know! My own craft showed that there is no overflow possible, but rather that there's a simple truncation when the item is saved/loaded. I'll take a look again this weekend and see if melee is handled differently. If not, maybe this is another annoying bug we'll have to deal with. We didn't have enough of those yet. :cool:

Edit: Looking at your item again.. let's say it had rolled Grandmaster's + Cruel, that would explain the rlvl and the Attack Rating. Then the lightning damage would be the third affix. The hitpoints and life leech are automods. But where's that fourth random affix? o_O So I guess that's another possibility; a specific stat that somehow screwed up the Enhanced Damage value. (Edit: Or it may just have rolled sockets. :rolleyes:)
@Fruit I saw that you posted that the superunique council members only ever drop from their normal TC in 1.07, does this have any impact on their rune drops?
Si, they can only drop up to Thul. Minions however can drop up to Cham.

Last edited:

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
so my necro who takes an extra 20 sec or something to kill toorc (who is in the building, thankfully) should just ignore him! He's always the riskiest, too.

NorthDakota

Diabloii.Net Member
The stashes are certainly gone. I searched my entire computer and all my externals using "Everything", a really awesome search program in case you haven't heard of it. Side note - I have like thousands and thousands of gomule backup stashes or whatever it just creates automatically... handy feature if something goes wrong but I guess I wasn't really aware of the extent of the numbers of backups it keeps..........

Anyways, really really great news. I still have my BVS Diablo 2 folder with my character saves in it (very limited items on those characters though). However, I hadn't taken the time to look through all my characters yet, so I fired up ATMA and checked through one by one and look at what I found on a mule I must have been planning on forwarding ---

Capture.PNG

So yah. All my neat uniques and charms are gone, but at least I still can make my CtA. Two guls and a vex just chillin. 2 ums for an mal, so I just need to dig up an ist somewhere. I did have a 5os +3 holy shield war scepter but it's poofed with the rest of my items.

So total what I got left of 1.07 items - 1 shako, 1 arkaines, 2 wizspikes, 2 valk wings, 1 eth sup thresher. So really I guess I only need to grieve for my lost 1.07 charms and a vamp gaze.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Fire up 1.00 and go shopping for a +3 HS war scepter. They can be bought from the repairs guy in act 4 NM or Hell. Item lvl is 36 for these, so will get 5 sockets.

EDIT: How does Lightning Fury work in 1.07? Refresh memory plz; ref my recent post in the IFT.

Last edited:

WoRG

Diabloii.Net Member
@helvete Lightning Fury does carry physical damage from the jav with each bolt...but unfortunately its only the base damage of that type of jav, %ed, +min, +max do not apply. However, with high levels of pierce, that still really stacks up, and it gets exponentially better the more targets there are on screen. My personal experience is that you do more herding and less throwing in 1.07, and when you do throw it's one at a time, not several at once (if you've herded up a big group, just one toss is quite spectacular...so much so it very frequently glitches the graphics and can cause desync...)

Your javs are still decent, as they do have +5javskills, MDR, FireRez, but they would have been better for LF if they'd gotten IAS instead of high ed%...but the ed% does apply when you poke things with them, at least.

WoRG

NorthDakota

Diabloii.Net Member
Fire up 1.00 and go shopping for a +3 HS war scepter. They can be bought from the repairs guy in act 4 NM or Hell. Item lvl is 36 for these, so will get 5 sockets.
Aw man then I gotta level through another entire patch. My todo list always getting longer. Spose I could gamble some sojs though -- isn't it significantly easier in 1.00?

MizzouFTW

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes it is! I don’t think gambling is worth it but if you equip a bagel and manuals it will force the first unique ring to be a stone of Jordan. I remember a few years ago when I got one to drop I was so excited.

Thinking about giving this another go

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
wait, really? I had no idea ED% had no effect on jav dmg carried through LF. I don't recall ever seeing that mentioned before. Good thing I never cared about it and prefer mdr/leech/amp dmg/knockback instead.

edit: I mostly prefer to equip bagel and manuals

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
They do, but you'd need to find a rack to reliably find one. So it's about as hard as finding a unique shako. Probably easier TBH, unless you want other mods like vigor or something

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
1.00 also has no limit on cow level, so easy SoJs there. And very frequent gem drops in river of flame.

LongingForDeath

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, they can spawn. One of my sorcs has a stable War Scepter rack in LK. That's where I got the base for my beta CtA. It's been 8 years or so since I racked those, but I don't think Holy Shield was such a rare spawn on them. Definitely shouldn't take you as long as racking a unique would.

Fruit

Diabloii.Net Member
wait, really? I had no idea ED% had no effect on jav dmg carried through LF. I don't recall ever seeing that mentioned before. Good thing I never cared about it and prefer mdr/leech/amp dmg/knockback instead.
+%Damage and +Damage that are on your javelin do not apply if you throw it. Deadly Strike also does not apply to thrown javelins (but Critical Strike does). So for Lightning Fury, it's pointless to have +%Damage or +Damage on your javelin. The base damage is used, so using a Matriarchal Javelin is still a good idea.

:rolleyes: