1.07 News, Info and Gossip

maxicek

Moderator Single Player
What was the conclusion on 2x 1h vs 2h for Trav WW? I thought someone said dual wield damage didn’t work properly?

Also what gear is everyone using generally?

Grape

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice sword Grape. Do 1.07 crafts get coloured in game like rares do?
Thanks maxicek, unfortunately not, I think. At least I haven't noticed any, granted I haven't used that many that are visible on char.

What was the conclusion on 2x 1h vs 2h for Trav WW? I thought someone said dual wield damage didn’t work properly?

Also what gear is everyone using generally?
I had to search for this one myself. Not surprisingly, this was explained by who else than our @Fruit . Fruit explains D2 to forumites should be an entire stickied library for all of us to enjoy. Keep on rockin' dude!

I'm still unsure what effects does the off-hand carry. Now I'm havin BK's Sacred Charge ([email protected] 35CB!), and I FEEL like the CB works, but I'm not sure. I seem to be killing faster wielding it off-hand than my crafted sword alone.

Other than those two swords I use:

Highlord's
Guillaume's 'IAS/ED'
LoH
Mavina's Belt
Raven Frost
Crafted leech etc. ring
Natalya's Boots (to be replaced by a decent blood craft, soon I hope. 40FRW must imo)
Tal's Plate (not sure will I replace this when Arkaine's is available, too early to say do I need the life)

inventory with damage/FRW/some res mixed.

I've now ran with a Barb for a whopping one level but with this setup his quite the beast already. If I didn't have my crafted sword, I'd probably use Arreats' for the AR effect.

Last edited:

Fruit

Diabloii.Net Member
@maxicek *
I had to search for this one myself. Not surprisingly, this was explained by who else than our @Fruit . Fruit explains D2 to forumites should be an entire stickied library for all of us to enjoy. Keep on rockin' dude!
Cheers! :D Funny to read back those posts about crafting. I actually spent hours gathering data to figure out the formulas. And (with some pride) I can say that the formulas I had come up with actually produced the correct results. :cool: (Although it wasn't quite what the code was actually doing, heh.)

* But yeah, on Whirlwind, I can now confirm after going through the function (rather than just testing) that the "number of attacks" is simply set to however many weapons you have equipped, but other than that, nothing changes. It doesn't swap the weapon or anything. So going dual-wield basically means twice the procs from things like CB, which is a pretty good reason to go that route. :D

I can't say for sure what does and what does not get included from off-hand, because I know for a fact that there are some bugs going on with dual-wielding. For example I was checking dual-wield skills (Frenzy & Double Swing), and whether you attacked with main- or off-hand, the Eth rune(s) from the main hand were always applied, whether you attacked with main or with off. The Eth rune from off-hand however was never applied, even if you attacked with the weapon the rune was in! No clue if there are more stats that are bugged like that. The bug may be with Eth rune specifically for all I know. Anyway, perhaps that there are also stats that you'd expect to get included from off-hand when using Whirlwind, but aren't. Worth checking out, I think!

Edit: I don't think that CB from off-hand is applied while Whirlwinding, though! That's what my notes are saying, at least. :) Then again, "Cast on Attack" apparently is applied. (Or maybe that is meant to say "Cast on Striking".)

Last edited:

Fruit

Diabloii.Net Member
So basically I only needed to rack one Grandfather and I can put whatever I like in the off hand and I get 2x hits with the primary?
Yup!
What to put in the secondary is an interesting question.
Right. :D Something like a GF or Doombringer in off-hand would be nice as a "stat stick" I guess. But maybe there are other cool, less obvious options. For example if Cast on Attack (or Cast on Striking) indeed works, then maybe something with chance to CtC Amplify Damage would be sweet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zyr

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Wait.. so I should have equipped lightsabre for immunity to Toorc MSLE conviction rather than the extra (~1k?) life from a second GF?

Fruit

Diabloii.Net Member
Wait.. so I should have equipped lightsabre for immunity to Toorc MSLE conviction rather than the extra (~1k?) life from a second GF?
Not sure if %Absorb is really that significant, since it's calculated after regular resistances and integer reduction. It would never make you immune. Integer Absorb should be way stronger than %Absorb in 1.07, but I think the only item that has integer lightning absorb is Blackhorn's Face, which unfortunately would have to replace Guillames, or whatever other cool helm you got on your head.

Edit: Didn't see you mentioned Conviction, but that does change how effective %Absorb could be. Can't remember how much -% resistance that Conviction is or how much damage those bolts deal. Worth finding out. :p It might actually be better to just stack regular lightning resistance; I wonder how much lightning resistance you could stack on a single weapon. (Wizardspike Barb!)

I do wonder if that "Ignores Target's Defense" from Lightsabre would work from off-hand, that would be interesting. Though, if ITD works, then I think any Eth runes will not be applied (because that part will be skipped, I believe). And since Eth sets DR to -25% (or lower if you use more than one rune), ITD is actually weaker. Because if DR gets below 0, then it will be increased to 0, and the difference is added to your AR. So if a monster has 100 DR and is attacked by an Eth-runed attack, his DR will first drop to -25, then increased to 0, and the difference (25) is added to your AR. ITD however just sets DR to 0.

Aaanyway, you may not want to equip Lightsabre at all while whirlwinding:
Also, for anyone interested, the chance to cast on hit from Lightsabre does seem to be bugged. I can WW around with a Baranar's Star and the meteor cast is not a problem, but the chain lightning on Lightsabre makes my barb stuck in place.
At this point I can only guess what the issue is. Lightsabre and Banana use the same stat. Maybe the problem is that Chain Lightning is a sequence-animation skill. (I wonder if it makes a difference if Lightsare is main- or off-hand.)
wait but Lo gives DS iirc. Is that even useful if you hve maxed masteries? I can't remember if it's bugged or not
Iirc Barbarian Masteries are indeed bugged, unfortunately not to apply 100%, but 0%. Deadly Strike works independently though, so they wouldn't clash anyway. A melee Amazon with Deadly Strike and Critical Strike can actually hit quadruple-damage hits. The same would be true for a Barbarian had his Masteries not been bugged. The Assassin mastery doesn't give any chance for a critical hit either, but this may not be a bug, since the skill description doesn't mention it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zyr

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Not sure if %Absorb is really that significant, since it's calculated after regular resistances and integer reduction. It would never make you immune. Integer Absorb should be way stronger than %Absorb in 1.07, but I think the only item that has integer lightning absorb is Blackhorn's Face, which unfortunately would have to replace Guillames, or whatever other cool helm you got on your head.

Edit: Didn't see you mentioned Conviction, but that does change how effective %Absorb could be. Can't remember how much -% resistance that Conviction is or how much damage those bolts deal. Worth finding out. :p It might actually be better to just stack regular lightning resistance; I wonder how much lightning resistance you could stack on a single weapon. (Wizardspike Barb!)

I do wonder if that "Ignores Target's Defense" from Lightsabre would work from off-hand, that would be interesting. Though, if ITD works, then I think any Eth runes will not be applied (because that part will be skipped, I believe). And since Eth sets DR to -25% (or lower if you use more than one rune), ITD is actually weaker. Because if DR gets below 0, then it will be increased to 0, and the difference is added to your AR. So if a monster has 100 DR and is attacked by an Eth-runed attack, his DR will first drop to -25, then increased to 0, and the difference (25) is added to your AR. ITD however just sets DR to 0.

Aaanyway, you may not want to equip Lightsabre at all while whirlwinding:

At this point I can only guess what the issue is. Lightsabre and Banana use the same stat. Maybe the problem is that Chain Lightning is a sequence-animation skill. (I wonder if it makes a difference if Lightsare is main- or off-hand.)

Iirc Barbarian Masteries are indeed bugged, unfortunately not to apply 100%, but 0%. Deadly Strike works independently though, so they wouldn't clash anyway. A melee Amazon with Deadly Strike and Critical Strike can actually hit quadruple-damage hits. The same would be true for a Barbarian had his Masteries not been bugged. The Assassin mastery doesn't give any chance for a critical hit either, but this may not be a bug, since the skill description doesn't mention it.
TBH I'm pretty sure it was you who did the math on MSLE bolt dmg in 1.07 about 1.5 years ago.

Also, I suspect conviction doesn't take away a flat percentage, which is why stacking like 50% more res doesn't help (much?). I believe it takes a percentage of your total away. It'd be worth looking at exactly what it does.

Same as cold mastery, which I suspect works differently than in later patches (other than the passing immunities, ofc)

MSLE with 15 mdr and max res has never been a worry, to me. It's only when you add conviction that it destroys anything. Without any mdr it is also quite scary. Thankfully SoE gives 15 mdr

Fruit

Diabloii.Net Member
TBH I'm pretty sure it was you who did the math on MSLE bolt dmg in 1.07 about 1.5 years ago.
Oh.. well, too late. :p (Maybe I should've done a search first.)
Also, I suspect conviction doesn't take away a flat percentage, which is why stacking like 50% more res doesn't help (much?). I believe it takes a percentage of your total away. It'd be worth looking at exactly what it does.
Nein, the resistance debuff is flat in 1.07.

The slvl of Conviction is (mlvl/4), so at mlvl 93 that's slvl 23. From then on it uses the Paladin skill, which is 30+(slvl-1)*5 for the resistance part. There's no cap to the resistance debuff in 1.07, but no monster in the game can reach a slvl high enough to exceed 145.

Conviction from a unique Council Member on Hell ends up being a -140 resistance debuff, so if you want to stay at 75 lightning resistance, you'll have to stack it up all the way to 215.

Those LE bolts deal (mlvl/2*2-1) lightning damage each, which at mlvl 93 is 91 damage per bolt, with a 5% chance to crit as usual. Each MSLE stack is 8 bolts, so you can easily get hit by 16+ bolts per hit as a melee character.

So let's say you have 15 MDR and exactly 75 lightning resistance, 16 bolts will deal 124 damage total (assuming none crit). But if you were affected by the -140 debuff, then 16 bolts will suddenly deal at least 2,162.375 damage total.

It's likely of course that you'll have a bit over 75 lightning resistance (pre-debuff), as well as some leech to counter the damage, but if you rapidly hit with a skill like Zeal or Whirlwind, the incoming DPS will just destroy you. You can potentially get hit by 18+ bolts for each of your attacks that hits (if you also catch a few bolts from the "normal" retaliation ring), and you can expect 1 in 20 bolts to be a crit.

So Wizardspike with +95 is not even such a bad idea. :p Though even that will not be enough to counter a 140 debuff. I think I'm just gonna hang on to charms with lightning resistance from now on.

Last edited:

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
Ya I've always used a map with a well, especially since I wanted my merc to get the extra life bonus.

@Fruit ya it's crazy damage. My zealot died in one hit to Toorc at lvl 86. I stacked res and mdr but I didn't hav an extra 100+ res :(

I think I even had about 30+ mdr or something. SoE, that unique aegis (normally unique monarch, forget the name suddenly), baranar's (can't remember if it has mdr, but it has lots of +life and dmg!)

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
Got myself one of these:

Superior Colossus Blade
One-Hand Damage: 27 to 133
Two-Hand Damage: 28 to 264
Durability: 26 of 26
Required Dexterity: 55
Required Strength: 178
Required Level: 76
Sword Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x25ffeada
+3 to Attack Rating
Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired)

Yep, perfect. But what to do with it? Socket in 1.07 for 5 sockets and make something, or straight for BOTD in 1.13?

bgalakazam

Diabloii.Net Member
Found a nice pattern in LK, Balrog Blade right next to WP followed by Colossus Sword 1 hut over. This will be ran. And this dropped randomly too:

Screenshot001.jpg

NorthDakota

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm fairly certain I lost all my 1.07 stuff because I can't find my atma stashes. Anyone know where those are kept by default? Very sad. I had transfered only an arkaines, a Valk wing, and an eth sup thresher to current patch so right now that's all I got left :-|

NorthDakota

Diabloii.Net Member
Do a computer wide search for *.d2x and see if that helps. Default is inside atma directory, I think.
Found my characters where they should be but the stashes are completely gone. I think I may have trashed my atma folder by accident. Fairly sure I kept it just like on my desktop or something instead of my d2 folder like a dummy and just absent mindedly trashed it one day. Feels extremely bad. That was a huge time investment and I only have a Valk wing, arkaines, wiz spike, and an eth sup thresher from 1.07 now. All runes are gone, my sick cta base I was going to use for the beta cta... All those racked uniques, my dope charms.... Pit in my stomach. Feels bad.

Oh well. Still enjoying myself in current patch.

DariusTriplet

Diabloii.Net Member
I had something similar happen, where the *.d2x files were invisible to my filesystem, but ATMA could see them in the stash directory. Perhaps try browsing to where they ought to be in ATMA; they might appear there via the file browser window.