[1.07]Mini-guide to Blood Raven runs

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member
[1.07]Mini-guide to Blood Raven runs

As some of you know, I've been exploring 1.07 lately. And now I've gotten far enough to start sharing my thoughts in a (very) tiny small miniguide:

This is about getting your starting gear for whatever 1.07, 1.09 or 1.10 beta chars you might plan. A few facts to start with:

1 - The most desireable base items cannot drop from monsters. The only way of getting set/unique versions of these items (anything above TC 63 IIRC) is to run racks. Racks have a 1:1000 chance of unique, 5:1000 chance of rare and 8:1000 chance of sets. Wooden weapons cannot drop from racks, so no bows, wands, staves. All armor can be racked, though. Luckily, many racks in 1.07 are very stable, and keep dropping the same base items. There are guides to racking around this forum.

2 - MF in 1.07 is a strange thing. With 556%MF, act bosses in hell are forced to drop uniques (or failed uniques). However, every act boss drops the same base items as the normal act boss would, so no easy getting exceptional uniques. Unique jewelry is much easier. With 127%MF, act bosses in NM will drop almost all sets. This can be an easy way to get some starter gear. However, once you hit hell, and roll a map with 2-3 very desireable racks (balrog skin, decapitator, thunder maul, bramble mitts and shakos on my current) you really don't want to visit NM as that will reroll your hell map.

3 - With 374%MF, random uniques, superuniques and council members in hell start dropping almost all sets. Now, this is something. Even in act 1 hell, these monsters can drop every set item droppable by monsters. Note that this won't get you an IK armor or LoH. Those base items cannot drop from monsters. However, you CAN get 4/6 of the IK set, M'Avina's belt, the entire sigons, all of tals except armor, entire orphans... Much that act bosses in NM won't give you.

Those three points are crucial. 374%MF will get you sets or higher, 373% will result in a LOT of magic ones instead. Anyway, getting to the stragegy:

A - Get a character to hell. Preferrably a sorc, since teleport and static field will make this strategy a piece of cake.
B - Get to 374%MF - Note that that's for merc kills! A 3s helm and 4s armor filled with ptopazes (14 total....) will net you and merc 336% MF. 38MF to go, which is as easy as a pair of chance guards, a good MF ring, or rare gloves/boots in combo. Sigons boots with 2 other items gives 50%. Many ways to get the magic number.
C - Scout out the Cold Plains, and note the spots random bosses spawn at. Also note where shrines and wells are.
D - Plan a route to Blood Raven. Go fairly straight, but go via close random bosses and shrines.
E - Start running. Act 1 monsters have LOW hp and fairly low damage. MUCH easier than trying to survive pindle, shenk and eldritch. Blood Raven has 5 picks, so she can drop up to 5 items (all sets, rares and occationally a unique) in one drop.
F - Abuse the rejuv sell/buy-with-shift bug. Don't be afraid to use rejuvs if things get hairy.
G - Don't bother with tele/stoneskin bosses. You'll have a hard time staticing them to a sliver for your merc to kill, and even if you manage to, they just tele and heal like half their life back....

Note that TC3 items (death gloves/belt, arctic armor, vidala armor, tancred boots) won't drop easily from these monsters. NM andy is by far your best bet for these. No problem getting full sigons, orphans, irathas, angelics, and many more, though. Tal amu, M'Avina belt and the more useful sigons/IK items drop very frequently too.

Thanks to: RTB, yiuman, and everyone in the 1.07 chit-chat thread

Thanks for reading :)

yiuman

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: [1.07]Mini-guide to Blood Raven runs

Good read. I have one question though - which TC does Blood Raven drop from? It would be great if she already drops from TC66 meaning that she could drop any item that is droppable (as opposed to rackable) and would be a great way of getting some hard to get set items (notably Naj's Puzzler which IMHO would make a reasonable barb weapon in 1.07). I also seem to recall reading somewhere that 374% is a mistake in the guide and should actually be 375% (not sure where I read that though - could be my memory playing tricks on me).

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Blood Raven drops from TC57 and down. Pretty low odds at TC57, but TC6 and TC3 have even lower odds from her. The random bosses top out at TC54. Note that this is much higher than the act V superuniques.

The number 374 I took from a post by RTB, so I kinda didn't bother to try and double check. ATMA doesn't seem to reflect this breakpoint in any way. (Based upon fiddling around with the dropcalc for a few seconds).

RE-EDIT: *info removed due to being completely wrong*

EDIT2: ATMA lists the oculus as droppable by the council, but NOT tal's orb. That I find a little strange.

Last edited:

yiuman

Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not sure how accurate ATMA is for things like this, for example, with 0%MF, ATMA says that Galeb Flamefinger has a 1:76000 chance of droping Tal's Orb, but with 375%MF ATMA then says that Galeb can't drop Tal's Orb. Also according to ATMA, Hephisto, the Cow King, Lord de Sais, Infector of Souls and Baals waves can drop Naj's Puzzler (which is a TC66). They are all pretty dangerous mobs.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

I suspect that ATMA is right once again. Class specific items have a higher chance of higher quality than other items, so it is possible that there's a MF breakpoint where class specifics are always at least rare.

I wouldn't run those dangerous mobs until I had a strong character. Blood Raven is a joke in 1.07, so she's a good target to start out on.

EDIT: I'd probably rather go for random bosses in the cow level, or in one of the less dangerous act 4 or 5 areas.

EDIT2: There's definately a MF breakpoint which render some bosses (Blood Raven amongst others) unable to drop set class specifics. However, it seems this breakpoint is item specific.

EDIT3: With my 380+ish MF, every class specific from a boss is indeed rare. The Frozen Thundra is a great spot for MFing, since Imps have low dmg and life.

Last edited:

yiuman

Diabloii.Net Member

That is very interesting to know about the class specifics as I really want Tal's Orb in 1.07 - I may have to lower my MF!

According to ATMA, the best odds of getting Tal's Orb occur at precisely 241%MF and some of the best targets would be the council and superuniques in Durance 3 (1:5.9k) - closely followed by Bloodraven (1:6k), which is nice.

Although, whether you'll want to lower your chances of getting other set items for this is debatable.

Although 6k runs sounds a bit much for 1 item, Tal's orb is the only class specific set that you can't rack or drop (other than Mav's bow which can't be got any way at all) and so it may be worth it to lower your MF for this (the only other really non-class specific set you'll probably want to find this way is Tal's ammy and with 375% MF this has a 1:2k chance and a 1:15k chance with 241%MF) and you'd get some other sets on the way (probably). That said, lots of uniques in NM have a roughly 1:5k chance to drop Tal's orb with 375%MF, so you could just run around in NM with lots of %MF and hope for the best.

I love things like this about 1.07 - fine tuning your MF to make it do what you want is just cool. I wonder what the xp is like from Bloodraven......

Last edited:

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

At lvl 82, I can tell you BR doesn't yield much exp. Just about anything in act 5 does much better.

A lot of the point of the guide was to avoid going to NM to MF sets. So lowering MF for 6k runs isn't as bad as it may sound if your current hell map has a good rack spawn.

MAJOR EDIT:

Following that same line of thought, I found out that 1215 MF (yes, not possible) would force oculus from unique monsters on hell. For HoZ the number seems to be 1212. The other class specific uniques are in the same range. Odds decrease *dramatically* for each single point of MF below this value.

For hell act bosses, the number should be 210. However, I'm pretty certain no act boss can drop the class uniques in 1.07 so that might be useless info.

Last edited:

Jaedhann

Diabloii.Net Member

According to ATMA, hell bloodraven has a 1:3928 chance to drop tals orb with 251 mf. This seems to be the sweetspot.

phool

Diabloii.Net Member

Good info here, I have mostly done tristram/inner cloister/trav. Sounds like full tals in 1.07 isn't worth the effort then, though afaik it would be impossible to hit 105 fcr with 1.07 tals anyway.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, it would indeed be impossible, as the juicy green partial bonuses were added in 1.10

yiuman

Diabloii.Net Member

Good info here, I have mostly done tristram/inner cloister/trav. Sounds like full tals in 1.07 isn't worth the effort then, though afaik it would be impossible to hit 105 fcr with 1.07 tals anyway.
No, full Tal's probably isn't worth it, but..... unless you have a gull or ali baba, tal's orb is pretty damn useful as a weapon for an MF sorc (it basically frees up the belt or ammy for other more useful items) and it is by far the hardest item of the set to get.

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Now that I have shako and Skullder, and lvl 83, there's no way I'll even concider Tal's before I make a 1.09b sorc :)

yiuman

Diabloii.Net Member

Following that same line of thought, I found out that 1215 MF (yes, not possible) would force oculus from unique monsters on hell. For HoZ the number seems to be 1212. The other class specific uniques are in the same range. Odds decrease *dramatically* for each single point of MF below this value.
I was thinking last night - it actually is possible to get 1215%MF in 1.07 (just very very unlikely as you need lots and lots of ISTs and a high level barb). A level 99 barb with 2x 6xIST (360) swords a PTopaz skulders (147) Shako with Ptopaz (74) Fortuitous Amulet of Luck (50) 2x Fortuitous Rings of Fortune (80), Goldwrap (30), War Travs (45), Magic/Rare gloves with 25%MF then an act 3 merc with a 6xIST sword (180), a Ptopaz Skulders (147) a shako with PTopaz (74) and a Milibreagas shield (20). All together this gives 1232%MF on merc kills - so you actually have 17%MF spare plus what you could get from charms to either lower your level (less from Skulders) or use non-perfect equipment. Of course, I really don't think this is worth it as the 1.07 Occy leaves quite a lot to be desired and you can rack a HoZ, but it is possible.

Now that I have shako and Skullder, and lvl 83, there's no way I'll even concider Tal's before I make a 1.09b sorc :)
Fair enough, but I'd still be very happy if an Orb dropped for me..... you could put on the orb, belt and ammy for the MF boost alongside your shako and skulders and probably free up some other equipment. Those pieces alone would give you 281%MF at your level and make shooting for 375%MF a reasonable option.

Disco-neck Ted

The Dark Library

I think swords can only get 5 sockets in 1.07, but could be wrong. Shields, on the other hand, can get at least 3, so your act III merc could make up most of the difference there. Also, you can rack a couple griz coronas in an eighth the time it takes to get shakos, with 2 sockets and 30% onboard MF, they could go 78% with 2xPtopaz (80% with ists), ist in the skullders...

So, we're just 23 ists or so short of perfection. :grin:

Nice finding on the MF breakpoints for class-specifics, helvete. I actually don't run the council with all-set MF for this very reason, but figured this out so long ago I kind of forgot the underlying logic. Initially, I worked it out by calculating the all-unique class-specific drops for bosses. With a moderate amount of MF, you can get Titan's Revenge from Baal any time ceremonial javs drop. Of course, it's mostly only good for collectors. Then I noticed that all class-cpecifics from the council were rares at a time when I was looking for a magic barb hat (prefix 1258/of the whale) to slam 3 sockets in, and all rares = no sets, so I backed off to a lesser number.

But it would never have occurred to me to run Bloodraven. Great job!

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

Which class specific uniques can baal drop? If he can drop titans....

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member

The answer as usual is more complex than it needs to be.

Code:
Non-class specific
item type	uni	unidiv	rare	rarediv	set	setdiv
nor/exc/eli	1000	6	200	6	125	6

Class specific
item type	uni	unidiv	rare	rarediv	set	setdiv
nor/exc		500	6	110	6	95	6
elite		400	6	100	6	90	6
(these should be read as 1/x as base odds)
The modified chance before MF acts on it is: chance - (Ilvl - Qlvl)/divisor (IIRC the chance is multiplied by 128 after this, so use integer math)
Also, I don't think racks get this reduction, but don't quote me on that.

So for a Set Swirling Crystal, the base chance of getting one of these off a Mlvl 93 monster is 95-(93-43)/6 = 87

Because the divisor is so high it only makes a real difference for class specific low Qlvl sets.

Disco-neck Ted

The Dark Library

Which class specific uniques can baal drop? If he can drop titans....
Titan's is the only one, and that is assuming the TC for ceremonial javs is the same in 1.07 as in later patches. That also presupposes the TCs for other class-specifics match later versions as well, so maybe there is a suprise candidate somewhere in the mix, but I doubt it.

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member

I posted a list of 1.07 weapons/armor with Qlvls somewhere, can't remember where. But Ceremonial Javelins are Qlvl 43, thus TC45. Baal can't drop them.

raconteur

Diabloii.Net Member

No, full Tal's probably isn't worth it, but..... unless you have a gull or ali baba, tal's orb is pretty damn useful as a weapon for an MF sorc (it basically frees up the belt or ammy for other more useful items) and it is by far the hardest item of the set to get.
Awesome to read that, as i found Lidless eye from NM council w/ 46%mf...guess ill have to break down and try some racking in hopes of the armor. (which i assumed would be the hardest):thumbup: