Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

1.07 help 2019

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by willpell, Jan 6, 2019.

1. willpell

willpell IncGamers Member

I lost my home Internet connection several years ago and have pretty much given up on getting it back; when I was in the mood to go back and play one of my old favorite games, I had to reinstall from the disk with no patching, so I'm stuck on version 1.07 forever. I've found it difficult to find information on this version of the game; the few threads I turned up often link to a supposed guide and a couple of backups, but all of these links are dead. Also, this information is mostly coming from ultra-heavy players, and I'm pretty much a lifelong scrub by preference; I have no interest in leveling to 99 and then sitting around farming the super-uniques in search of the most uber items. I just play for fun, and so much of what little info I was able to find went way over my head, without answering my very basic questions.

What I'm looking for is basically this:

1. A list of all working 1.07 recipes for the Horadric Cube. I've found that many of the ones listed on the Arreat Summit (even ones as basic as using an Ort rune to repair a weapon) don't work in this version, and for the most part I can live without them, but I would like to know if there's a way to do things like combining three Thul runes to make an Amn and three Dols to make a Hel, as the later-version "throw in a Chipped Gem" doesn't seem to be cutting it. This and similar levels of what the more advanced players would probably consider "weaksauce" is about all I'm interested in working on.

2. Any Runewords that aren't mentioned on the Arreat Summit's list of "original" Runewords. This isn't a super high priority for me, as my computer seems to have a bug of some sort where it doesn't like Rune-socketed items very much, but I do like to try them out once in a while. I may be doing something wrong, as even basic runewords like IthElEth in a weapon don't seem to work for me; the only one that I've been able to confirm does work is Ancient's Pledge (RalOrtTal).

3. Crafting recipes that work in 1.07 - for some reason only the Blood recipes are working for me, while the Safety, Magic, and Hit Power crafts have all failed. I don't know if they just scrambled the required Runes around, or if these just plain don't work in this version.

4. Any other very basic information that I haven't managed to figure out as of yet. For instance, I have recently begun to religiously use the Area Level guide when leveling my characters, but it's still taking forever, and I'm wondering if there's a wrinkle that escapes me. As an example, my highest-level character is 41st, and I have this listed as the area level for all three levels of the Jail in Nightmare, but after having him clear all three levels of the Jail twice in a row (admittedly dying once to Pitspawn Fouldog, and forgetting to go into his corner the other time), I appear to only be a quarter of the way toward 42nd level. Is this really my only option for leveling up, to keep repeating this one area over and over? (Tragically the /players=8 command doesn't seem to work for me, I don't know why exactly.)

I don't need to know stuff like "these are the good Uniques in 1.07", as I'm still in the phase of the game where getting a unique *at all* is still a big deal to me, and I don't really care how it compares to all the ones that I haven't found yet. Anything else that pertains to levels 50 and up (I dropped one level 48 sorceress orb, so that's the highest level I'm currently even considering working my way up to), or to online multiplayer, or other versions of the game that I'm not participating in, is not information I have any use for. Also, please try to avoid abbreviations; if you said SCS, I would probably eventually figure out that this is Sigon's Complete Steel, but the vast majority of such substitutions will probably be lost on me, so please try to spell out anything you feel the need to mention.

All constructive feedback is appreciated, thank you.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

We have a separate forum for single player, all the experts are there. I could move this thread to there if you wish...

Fruit likes this.
  3. Fruit

Fruit IncGamers Member

@willpell
    It was a while back, but I made and used an excel sheet for myself. It may not be sufficient for you, but I've uploaded it so you can judge for yourself: 1.07 Runewords (Google Sheets)
    Note that this sheet doesn't list the bonuses from the individual runes themselves, but only the stats that the runeword generates.

The Cube sheet I have/use isn't formatted well so that would most likely be too much of a pain for you to use. I think that the dedicated "1.07 info" thread in the Single-Player section might have something nice, though.

There are still places where you can get patches, so you don't have to play 1.07 if you'd rather play a newer version.

4. Raging_Zealot

Raging_Zealot Diablo: IncGamers Member

Not sure about any of the 1.07 specific questions but for rune words I'd just be very careful you are using the correct item type (some of the weapon types aren't as straight forward as they would seem, mace vs not mace etc), and make sure that the item has the exact number of sockets required, etc.

I know it's changed over the versions but the players x command used to go all the way to 64. Also, at least on 1.14d the command is "/players 8" (no equals sign) and the game returns "players set to 8" in the message window. It's very possible that the command and getting game confirmation is different in 1.07, but I would try it without the equals sign. If I recall correctly monsters that are already spawned don't dynamically update so it may not take effect until you get to a new zone.

Regarding your leveling question, I would just play the game and not worry about the specific area for your level. If you've cleared out a zone just keep going through the quests. I would only repeat areas to farm specific targets good for loot (which your post makes it sound like you're not there yet) or if you hit a wall and the next zone is too hard, going back to run an area that gives good xp (experience) to get stronger and hopefully find better items will help. But in general the harder areas are going to give more xp. In multi-player it is common to get power leveled so they designed in things to prevent that. One of them is that a character that is much lower level than the monsters and isn't killing doesn't get much xp any more. Since you're playing solo and doing all the killing, that shouldn't be a problem for you Just run the highest area you can.

Hope that helps

Fruit likes this.
  5. willpell

Sounds good, thank you.

I don't need to know what the runeword does in terms of stats, I just need to know the required item type and what runes go in what order. Speaking of which, apparently the +10 Vitality rune was renamed "Io" in a later version? I dropped one and its name is listed as "Po".

Typing /players 2 or /players=2 in the chat window both have no effect on gameplay; they just make my character speak those exact text-strings, punctuation included.

You can only do each quest once per character per difficulty level.

I'm not. The most exciting item I've had drop is a Coronet of Teleportation, since that will let all characters jump across the annoying canals in act 3 and so forth; beyond that I don't especially care.

I've had little ability to identify which areas those are, beyond the fact that act 5 normal seems to be better than act 1 nightmare, despite them having overlapping Area Levels (eg both Halls of Vaught and Blood Moor/Cold Plains are level 36, but the former seems to produce far more XP). I don't really know which areas are especially rewarding to farm, although rereading some info on Arreat did reveal that there are some pretty stiff penalties for being above the level of the monster you kill (which may be different from the Area Level where that monster spawns, annoyingly enough).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  6. Raging_Zealot

Sorry I didn't realize that you had done all the quests already. What I meant was, run in whatever the highest areas you are capable of clearing are. Only go back to run specific areas if you can't handle the next content.

7. willpell

This is exactly how I used to play, and it is now clear to me that it was a mistake, because the game punishes you for getting too far ahead by penalizing your XP to almost nothing. For example, my level 41 Paladin has gotten Khalim's Eye and Brain, possibly even getting as far as Kurast itself, even though the game expects him to be all the way back in act ONE of Nightmare. It's a struggle for him to survive that far into the game, but if I'm able to pull it off, the game should reward me for being able to overcome that higher difficulty; instead, I'm penalized by not allowing me to level up in a timely fashion. So now I'm trying to get a handle on where I should hang back to. In my experience, the game progresses naturally only through Act 1 of Normal; if I go through the objectives in order, I wind up somewhere around level 12 or 13 when I kill Andariel, and then I'm about level 18 when I go up against Duriel. But I've never been higher than about 22 when I kill Mephisto, and around 26 versus Diablo, and somewhere in the low 30s for Baal. According to the Area Level description, the Spider Forest is level 21, so I'm already ahead of the curve as of Duriel, though not by a lot - but when I face Baal, I'm expected to be at or near level 40, and if I'm only 32 or 34, I suffer for it. This is effectively a trap built into the game which I had to learn the hard way, and so I'm now working on getting it right.

8. Raging_Zealot

Hopefully someone else can give you a better response then. I've admittedly spent most of my time with multi-player so maybe I didn't realize all the pitfalls of single player leveling. Sorry if I led you down the wrong path!

Fruit likes this.
  9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

OK, done.

10. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

If you search this sub forum (SPF) for 1.07 guide you should see results for Rapuzs guide and an addendum. The addendum has working recipes and runewords, although much of the info is presented as getting to higher end content in both. Should be a good start, as well as perusing the 1.07 News, Info, and Gossip thread.

galtwish likes this.
  11. galtwish

galtwish IncGamers Member

12. cheerupemokid10

cheerupemokid10 IncGamers Member

In some of the older patches you leave the “/“ out and only type “players 8”. I think that applied to 1.07 if I remember correctly.

One of the better recipes that I know of was the cold resist ring as it was bugged and would sometimes spawn with large amounts of +mana per kill. It is a sapphire of any quality, magic ring, and thawing potion in the cube. Great for helping with mana issues. Get 10-15 mana per kill on one ring and it makes a huge difference.

Rune words must have the correct base and the correct number of sockets. So if there is a recipe that calls for 3 runes and you put it in something with 4 sockets it won’t work. Also the same thing if it isn’t the right item type. Some require specific weapon types like swords only or staves only. I’ll see if I can find something with the actual recipes. Edit: images attached. These are from RobbyD’s 1.09 guide but should still be helpful for 1.07.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  13. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I don't believe the players x command works at all in 1.07 - I believe you're thinking of 1.09.

pharphis and cheerupemokid10 like this.
  14. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

I have a level 57 Matriarch who is good enough for rack running.
    Two things to do that aren't mentioned here:
    1) Abuse the Rejuvenation potion bug. Get 2 fat purples. Sell one to a vendor, have the other in a belt slot with nothing else in that slot. shift and right click to buy the rejuv. You now have 4 full rejuvs. put them in the other slot. As long as you have gold (not hard to get) Now this helps with the hard bits.
    2) Just push through to get to the ancients. You can get the rewards of 1.4million for normal, 20mil for NM, 40Mil for hell with NO minimum character level. as long as you can run along and hit those next waypoints you are making progress. Get the ancients down and you are a lot stronger.

What you choose to do in 1.07 after that is your choice, there are a few options.

Even if you don't have the internet at home, the size of a Diablo2 patch is only a few MB. Surely you could download it onto a USB and take that home.

Remember the benefit of Single Player is you can play MORE than one version! Keep your 1.07. Enjoy the smoothness of 1.09. Enjoy the newer stuff and higher rune drops of 1.14. And of course you can always go back to pre 1.07 if you desire

15. cheerupemokid10

cheerupemokid10 IncGamers Member

Ah yes thank you. I forgot you still had to multibox in 1.07. It’s all coming back, slowly. Hopefully the runeword info is valid too...

16. Pringlesman

Pringlesman IncGamers Member

If you don't want to stick with 1.07 you could always go to another computer with an internet connection, download the patch file. Put it on a USB and transfer it to your computer at home

17. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

The Rejuvenation potion buy back bug is now discouraged. You can do it, but we rather you don’t.

Basically it is duping, it came very close to getting banned outright.

18. galtwish

galtwish IncGamers Member

If you are serious about playing 1.07, the Brady Games guide has all the crafting recipes, runewords, skill breakdowns, etc. It can be had for cheap on Amazon or eBay.

19. Fruit

Fruit IncGamers Member

Not to fight you on your decision/opinion, but you do lose gold for each potion you get (not just for one). And you only get the potions for which you have the gold -- if you run out of money, you'll get the good ol "not enough gold". So perhaps that's at least some consolation. :p

20. Timinator

Timinator IncGamers Member

Hmm well that’s a new development I hadn’t seen before. The multiple hundred page thread isn’t easy to find out what has changed from what I know