Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ãœber Man Marathon

Discussion in 'Player Matchup' started by Ephraim, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Ephraim

Ephraim IncGamers Member

Ãœber Man Marathon

I was never very interested in the hard slog to get "godly gear", so I've always played D2 by Iron Man rules. A few months back, I found out what a group of germans did to push the limits of D2, and I thought, "that's perfect! This is exactly the type of crazy idea I've been looking for!" So I got together a group of interested players to join me, and together we're going to do a similar run. The difference is, we're going to be playing through with 5 players, instead of 8, to push the limits a little further, if you will. We're going to run what I call an Ãœber Man Marathon:

The object of the Ãœber Man Marathon:
    is to clear every area in Diablo 2 LOD, from the beginning of act one Normal to Ãœber Tristram, completely naked and without town support, on Hardcore mode.​

Our group will start this on Sunday. What can I say? It's bold, it's audacious, it's crazy, and it's entertaining as hell. What's not to like?

The Rules

1. Start with a previously agreed upon number of Hardcore characters. In our case, we will be using five. All characters must only be played in the same game, when all characters on the team are present. No exping in other games.

2. All areas must be fully-cleared once, and only once. This means no killing anything in previously cleared areas. This includes all auxiliary areas and optional quest areas like Tristram, Nihlathak's Temple, the Secret Cow Level, the Matron's Den, the Forgotten Sands, the Furnace of Pain, and Ãœber Tristram.

3. No town support. No vendors, no quest rewards*, no mercenaries, no heals, no IDing from Cain, and no using the stash for storage.
    *We will be taking Akara and Tyrael's skill point rewards because we could use the points and we would have to go out of our way to avoid them.

4. No items, except for quest items and other miscellaneous items listed. Allowed miscellaneous items: healing potions, mana potions, rejuvenation potions, stamina potions, antidote potions, thawing potions, scrolls, tomes, keys, and potion ingredients. Gold can be picked up, but not used. Equipment for Iron Golems can be kept in the inventory, but not equipped.

5. No using Town Portals, Save and Exit, or Alt-F4 to escape death. An exception can be made with high-lag situations.

6. No difficulty-breaking builds, like fishymancers.

The "Ãœber Man" team:

______ - Frozen Orb/Firewall Sorceress
    Ephraim - Golem/Curses Necromancer
    Feysal - Valkyrie/Decoy Amazon

For anyone that's interested in following this, I'm going to be posting updates on this thread, including photos and video recordings, for every session. If anyone has comments, concerns, or questions, feel free to post them.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. Ephraim

Ephraim IncGamers Member

Re: Ãœber Man Marathon

Reserved for table of contents

3. droid

droid IncGamers Member

I might suggest your Salvation pally sink 20 pts into Holy Bolt. This is probably the one situation where having an actual "cleric" in your party might be useful :)

Why would need IDs on a naked build, btw, anyway?

I'm pretty sure UT will be mathematically impossible, since you'll have no CB, and no OW, and not nearly the damage you'll need to counteract their natural regen...

Lastly, whats your plan for dual unbreakable CI/FI? Cant think of any off the top of my head, maybe L20 Conviction+L20 Lower Resist breaks all immunes, but maybe not....

Just would hate to see you set out on what ultimately proves to be a quixotic quest :D

4. boogyman19946

boogyman19946 IncGamers Member

Interesting :) I'm quite interested in following this. Although I must say that I've seen a situation even more daring from Superdave where he had a purely passive amazon with only cracked or so equipment allowing only the mercenary to wear anything. And he was playing hardcore :)

Btw, I'm assuming you guys are playing on hardcore, but you don't actually mention that in your post, so is that the case or not?

5. Ephraim

Ephraim IncGamers Member

We are playing Hardcore. Thanks for catching that. I'll edit my post.

We are doing that, and we're maxxing its prayer synergy, as well. We've actually tested something somewhat similar to this build on PTR back in February, and HB works like a dream.

If you're interested in it, I could post our build list.

We wouldn't need it. I was covering bases. Good point, though.

The german group that I linked to in my OP did it without any of those things. Granted, they had a Light trap assassin, a Sorceress, and a Grizzly for damage, but I think a properly built Sorc could handle it.

Attract/Amplify to get corpses, then CE them. I'm relying on the CI/FI to also not be Physical immune and Immune to curses. Thorns is also an option for CI/FI champions. I don't think there are CI/FI/PI and immune to curses monsters, but I'm not positive.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  6. Ephraim

Ephraim IncGamers Member

I just realized that the german team I mentioned used the poison damage from Poison Creeper to negate the regen rates. If we put a point into poison nova, we should be able to deal with their natural regen.

7. Zarniwoop

Zarniwoop IncGamers Member

This sounds great fun.

I'd love to do this, but I'd be very choosy about the people I did it with. One bobo and its all over.

8. BALDAZAR

BALDAZAR IncGamers Member

Really though, we are a very dedicated group of people, and we all work well together, we are a good group of people for this, and i think id your ever going to take the risk, take it with us. and even if we die, we are dedicated enough to start it again. The germans restarted a few times, so it may happen. If you feel like this is going to be too hard, or too annoying, please, dont join this team. and @Ephriam, i didnt look too hard into your build for the necro, but is a 1 pt poison nova gonna have enough damage boost from sinergies to do anything?

9. BALDAZAR

are we going to try to use ventrillo this time? Because if we are, i need to go get a cheap mic. I think it would be an invaluable resource,.

10. Ephraim

Ephraim IncGamers Member

This isn't a recruiting thread.

It's not for damage. Poison (supposedly, I could have bad info) negates monster heal while it's active. We would use poison nova so that the Ãœbers' natural regeneration (which is insanely high, by the way) doesn't make our efforts futile.

As I mentioned via PM, the prefix is "UM-" for Ãœber Man. Anyway, technical discussion like this is better suited for the social group I made for our team, which I included information about in the PM, as well.

11. BALDAZAR

well, ill have to look , i got a few weps with nova on them, ill slap open a trist, and kill all but d, hit him alot, and nova, that will tell if he regens

12. BALDAZAR

I think, since he was already posting here, we might as well try to grab another player. My mistake, sorry to ruin your little robot system lol.

13. Ephraim

Ephraim IncGamers Member

I don't think Zarni was volunteering.

Anyway, I don't mind if you post on here. I was just thinking that talking about who's using ventrilo would bore people. Just try to steer away from topics like ventrilo and schedule conflicts, for example.

14. BALDAZAR

on here? ok. where do i take those concerns?

15. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Member

what are you going to do for keys? youre going to have to run multiple areas many times

16. BALDAZAR

I think theres an exception for that lol, we can bring those in i believe from other chars.

17. boogyman19946

So when are you guys starting this? How are you going to update? Are you guys taking videos of your screens and whatnot?

Sidenote: I suggest not double posting. It's against the forum rules, and that being sad, it's being enforced with no scrutiny or mercy. It'll be in your best interest to make use of that edit button if no one has posted after you.

18. BALDAZAR

ah is it really? i had no idea lol, well ty for the info, and yes, we are going to video the whole thing via ephriams computer. we will be posting links to the videos, and just generally post a bit about how things have went. This is really sort of more for us to talk about what we need to do in coming weeks, i think,. We plan to start this sunday.

EDIT:
    Actually, i just read ephraims pm from yesterday. WE are starting the group sunday. It will be taped on his computer. There is a group where all the info will be posted. I was misinforming, im sorry.

this is the link to the group.
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/group.php?do=discuss&discussionid=85

19. boogyman19946

heh, it's not THAT bad, but you will get a warn and I'm not sure if a ban follows. Nobody ever ignored the primary warn :)

20. Ephraim

Ephraim IncGamers Member

We're going to mule in a keyset.

Definitely. I'll be taking screen recordings and pictures, and include them alongside a running commentary.

EDIT: We're starting on this Sunday (the 18th). I'll probably be able to have everything posted for the session on the Monday after (the 19th).