Probably not news to any girl gamers, or guy gamers with gaming girlfriends, but more girls are apparently gaming online nowadays (doh) and they are also more hardcore when they are at it than guys.
In research presented Saturday at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Chicago, it was revealed that the interest in online games has increased significant in women, and they also spend more time gaming. The study was done in the MMO EverQuest II. Why they didn’t choose WoW with a wider range of players is unknown. Here is a snip:
“Players who played the game with their romantic partners enjoyed the game more and spent more time playing,” says Scott Caplan, one of the co-authors of the study and a professor of communication at the University of Delaware. He also noted that the study raises more questions for future research into gender stereotypes and cautioned that their results shouldn’t be generalized yet.
Some interesting points out of this is:
- Girl gamers play more hours a week than gamer guys.
- Gamers have over all a lower BMI (Body Mass Index) and exercisre more than average non-gamers.
- Girls like to play with their partner.
- Guys like to play alone.
- Girl gamers under-reported their hours more than men (ashamed of playing?)
- Men play to win.
- Women play to socialize.
- Guys play alone to avoid sharing loot.
- Guys are afraid of having a girlfriend who’s better than them at gaming.
Well, a few of these points were not actually part of the study, but never the less part of the ABC News article about it. They also asked Christina Winterburn from theGirlGamer.net for comments, who among other things said:
“We’re still women. … It’s just an emotional thing. I think we probably like to spend more time with our boyfriends than they like to spend time with us,”