Now here’s a challenge, running through Diablo 2 in under eight hours without hitting a single enemy, that doesn’t include Thorns damage of course. DrCliche has done just that in a new speedrun video.
So how has it been done it? There’s a lengthy update on Reddit explaining the rules that were adhered to which included:
- You may not take aggressive action toward any creature or animated construct, nor may you summon an entity or hire a mercenary to do so on your behalf.
- You may enable Ladder-only runewords and freely use /players X if you choose to play offline.
- You aren’t responsible for the behavior of character-independent NPCs, like Flavie, or the Barbarians in the Bloody Foothills.
- You aren’t responsible for shrines; their outcomes are acts of Anu.
- There’s a bug that sometimes causes your mouse buttons to revert to attack when any of your equipment changes. As a result, it’s easy to unwittingly swing at an enemy, or to accidentally TK something while aiming for a chest, portal, waypoint, shrine, seal, or altar. If that happens, simply apologize and don’t allow that enemy to die. If that enemy needs to die, respawn it unprovoked in a new game.
The update also explains the tactics used in each of the Acts.
So here it is, Diablo 2 done with these rules in under eight hours. Could you do any better?