Blizzard recently announced that we would not see a functional PvP system in Diablo III at launch. This created some fan outrage, but since the feature cut was framed in their usual, “Do you want System X or another six month delay?” no one was able to refute it too powerfully. And then the release date was revealed five days later, wiping away all memory of the latest and largest promised feature to get cut from the game during the rush to release.
Let’s go back to that no-PvP decision for a moment, though. If you can, look at the issue as an actual feature debate, rather than just a matter of “soon.” After all, as long as we’ve been waiting for D3, would you guys object to *anything* being stripped out for a quicker release? If Jay Wilson said, “The Demon Hunter isn’t working that great right now. Do you guys really want 5 classes if it means waiting until 2013?” I imagine a strong majority of fans, at least on Battle.net, would be perfectly fine going to war without an archer class. (Vote results on our Facebook page reflect that attitude quite clearly.)
So, try and weigh PvP on its own terms, rather than entirely in terms of “soon,” or “inevitable result of terrible time management from 2008-2012.”
How upset are you at no PvP in D3 at launch?
- 3) Mild approval. I don't really care about PvP. (45%, 4,094 Votes)
- 4) Great news. PvP sucks and would have distracted from PvE balancing. (18%, 1,685 Votes)
- 5) I reject your reframing effort. A SOON release date is all that matters. Cut all the features! (17%, 1,604 Votes)
- 2) Angry. Was really looking forward to PvP. (17%, 1,590 Votes)
- 1) Outraged. Won't buy until PvP is patched in. (2%, 212 Votes)
Total Voters: 9,185
Last Vote Results
The last vote measured public opinion on Diablo 3’s Magic Find system, in which the MF (and GF and +%exp) for all characters is added up, then divided by the number of players in the game. I figured we’d have a lot more fragmented results on this one, with no one option over 30% or 35%, so apparently Blizzard is doing it right, at least in terms of pleasing the fans with their system plans.
How should Magic Find be handled in Diablo 3?
- 2) I like the D3 system; everyone’s MF shares. (53%, 3,989 Votes)
- 1) As it was in D2. No sharing of MF bonuses. (24%, 1,770 Votes)
- 4) There shouldn’t be any MF in D3 at all. (11%, 828 Votes)
- 5) Don’t know/no opinion. (7%, 524 Votes)
- 3) Some different system than D2 or D3. (5%, 356 Votes)
Total Voters: 7,469
While we’re on the topic if fan votes and release dates, check out the results of our release date vote from September 2011. Would you be surprised to learn that the correct answer was the least popular?Related to this article