We found out this week that 2012 will bring no BlizzCon, for the first year since 2006. Blizzard’s excuse is that they’re super busy trying to release three titles this year, and they pointed to some kind of esports tournament thing instead of their Blizzcon tournaments, but I’ve never watched a second of those, so I lost interest before that part.
Of much more interest is the speculation about the real reason for no BlizzCon 2012. I think it’s pretty simple; they’re super busy, but moreover, they had nothing to debut this year.
- Titan‘s obviously not yet ready to reveal.
- D3 will be out by October, but it’ll be way too soon to talk about D3X.
- SC2X will be out or just about to launch, with nothing to announce at BlizzCon.
- The next WoW expansion will be in crunch move, and besides, even Blizzard realizes no one really gives a damn about the panda pack.
Add that up and you’ve got no compelling new anything for the show, and Blizzard doesn’t want to put on a show that leaves fans unsatisfied. Plus they’re really busy. Much the same opinion was arrived at in an Ars Technica editorial, though by different means.
All that aside, we know there’s no Blizzcon coming this year. How does that make you feel? Pick the answer that comes closest to your opinion and we’ll see just how cynical you guys are, in aggregate.
How do you feel about no BlizzCon in 2012?
- 3) I'm glad. Make games instead of wasting time on self-congratulating conventions. (50%, 2,083 Votes)
- 2) Meh. There wouldn't have been any D3 info anyway, this year. (26%, 1,094 Votes)
- 1) I'll really miss the show and the new info. (15%, 627 Votes)
- 4) Dunno. Opinions are hard. (8%, 339 Votes)
Total Voters: 4,145
Last Vote Results
Last time we asked how you guys felt about the changes to the game systems revealed in Jay Wilson’s big announcement. The results mirror what we’ve seen in comment threads, with quite mixed opinions. Most of you guys are at least mildly supportive of the changes, while wishing they didn’t take so long, but quite a few people think the iteration is an excuse to screw around, or are even more hostile than that.
Related to this article
How do you feel about D3’s dev progress, in light of all the new system changes?
- 2) The new changes are okay, but hurry up. (45%, 2,067 Votes)
- 3) The new changes are stupid over-iterations. Not worth the delays. (27%, 1,257 Votes)
- 4) I don’t care about the details and have been furious at the delays since 2010. (14%, 653 Votes)
- 1) The new changes are awesome and so is the dev progress. (14%, 605 Votes)
Total Voters: 4,584