It’s been the better part of a week since the Diablo 3 v1.08 Patch went live, and now that everyone’s had a weekend to dig into the new content, it’s time to form an opinion. Most of the feedback I’ve read in the forums and news page has been favorable, and everyone I know in-game has been playing and enjoying it.
But let’s see some actual numbers on the issue. Pick an option that best matches your opinion and we’ll try to get some community consensus on the monster density and other Patch 1.0.8 changes.
Last Vote Results
I’ve been putting this off like a dental appointment at a DMV office run by the IRS, but the time has come (at last) to sum up the results of some other recent votes. Most of them were tucked into news items about this or that, rather than posted as stand alone votes, but let’s count back in chronological order:
The last vote was posted just a few days ago, as the gold dupe repairs dragged on.
What should Blizzard have done to fix the RMAH gold dupe bug?
2) What they’re doing. Realms up, AH down, case-by-case fixing. (31%, 512 Votes) 1) Shut down the realm and done a full rollback, erasing all of Tuesday’s actions. (29%, 473 Votes) 5) Doesn’t matter now. RMAH has long since ruined the game. (23%, 388 Votes) 4) New economy! D2-style season ladders with no gold/item sharing. (12%, 202 Votes) 3) Nothing. The softcore economy was gold glutted already. (3%, 49 Votes) 6) No opinion / something else. (2%, 32 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,656
Another recent vote asked what your primary goal was with a Diablo 3 character.
What’s your primary goal with your Diablo 3 characters?
1) To have fun playing. (34%, 489 Votes) 3) To find awesome gear and/or build wealth. (31%, 438 Votes) 4) To create the strongest possible character. (16%, 234 Votes) 2) Toi reach Paragon 100. (9%, 125 Votes) 5) To experiment, explore, and try new things. (7%, 107 Votes) 6) Something else (say in comments). (3%, 35 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,428
There are several other recent votes we’ve never yet recapped, so click through for more. Because moar.
Another vote piggy-backed on a Travis Day post about the issues with Archon and WotB lasting forever (with proper gear) and breaking the intended purpose of those skills.
Should Archon and WotB be nerfed in duration?
4) Neither should be nerfed. Give other chars skills to match. (43%, 674 Votes) 1) Yes, both are OP. (38%, 590 Votes) 3) WotB should be nerfed, but not Archon. (9%, 133 Votes) 5) No opinion / not sure. (8%, 125 Votes) 2) Archon should be nerfed, but not WotB (2%, 32 Votes)
Total Voters: 1,554
Before that we ran a double poll spurred by Jay Wilson’s comments that the Auction House might have had a less-than-positive overall effect on Diablo 3.
Why has Blizzard turned against the D3 Auction House? (Pick all that apply.)
3) They’ve come believe it’s a negative game feature. (50%, 1,046 Votes) 2) RMAH sales are bad so it’s not profitable anymore. (31%, 649 Votes) 5) Devs never liked it but management forced it upon them (31%, 648 Votes) 1) They’re just following to fan opinion. (23%, 485 Votes) 4) Blame the console. (8%, 176 Votes) 6) Something else / No opinion. (7%, 146 Votes)
Total Voters: 2,110
That was paired with a survey to measure current Auction House usage. I wish I’d thought to split option #6 into multiple options, ala: “I no longer play, but did/didn’t use the AH when I did.” (My experience is that virtually everyone who burned out on D3 and quit playing was a fairly-heavy AH user.)
Do you currently use the Diablo 3 Auction House?
6) I no longer play Diablo 3. (26%, 539 Votes) 1) Constantly. (22%, 444 Votes) 2) Pretty often. (20%, 401 Votes) 3) Occasionally. (15%, 304 Votes) 5) I have never (or almost never) used it. (9%, 176 Votes) 4) Very seldom. (8%, 165 Votes) 7) Something else (say in comments). (0%, 8 Votes)
Total Voters: 2,037
The vote before that was also about the Auction House, in regards to what the Diablo 3 Expansion should do about that loved and hated game feature.
What should the Diablo 3 Expansion do with the Auction House?
5) Remove the Auction House entirely. (38%, 886 Votes) 2) Retain the AH but add an Ironborn character option. (19%, 450 Votes) 3) Retain the AH, add many types of high end item binding. (16%, 365 Votes) 4) Remove just the Real Money AH. (11%, 265 Votes) 1) Unchanged. The current AH system works well. (10%, 233 Votes) 6) Something else/no opinion/don’t care. (6%, 144 Votes)
Total Voters: 2,343
The vote before that was purely to satisfy my own curiosity (no, they aren’t all for that purpose) and I found the results quite surprising. I was mildly surprised that so many of you agreed with me that it would be awesome to know if I’d missed one of the miracle 0.0001% Rares. (Surprising since in real life at least, most people fully embrace the principle that “ignorance is bliss,” even if they won’t admit it in so many words.)
That was a minor surprise. The major one was that the leading option was, “I pick up everything.” Seriously? Everything? I expected maybe 5% on that vote option. I consider myself fairly pack ratish in my thoroughness in the game, and it’s been months since I picked up even 1/4 of the rares that drop in Inferno. Do you 34% just go back to town every 5 minutes, or what?
You missed a great item — would you want to know?
3) I pick up and ID everything, so it’s irrelevant. (34%, 299 Votes) 1) Yes, tell me what I missed. (24%, 215 Votes) 5) It’s a lie. There are no great rare items in Diablo 3. (22%, 195 Votes) 2) No, I’d rather not have the regrets. (19%, 165 Votes) 4) Not sure/no opinion. (1%, 14 Votes)
Total Voters: 888
The vote before that, and mercifully the last one not previously archived in a subsequent post, gave you guys a chance to pass judgment on Jay Wilson’s years as the Diablo 3 Game Director. A harsh assessment was handed down indeed…
Jay Wilson’s time as D3 Game Director…
4) Jay was terrible and harmed D3. (32%, 1,493 Votes) 6) There’s no way outsiders can hold an informed opinion pro or con. (23%, 1,089 Votes) 3) Jay did a poor job. (17%, 815 Votes) 2) Jay was pretty good. (12%, 589 Votes) 5) D3 was a group project and Jay’s influence was neutral. (6%, 284 Votes) 1) Jay did an awesome job. (5%, 250 Votes) 7) No opinion/don’t care. (5%, 212 Votes)
Total Voters: 4,732
We’ll have a vote to let you guys rate the first year of Diablo 3 later this week, so keep your clicking finger handy.