Earlier this week Blizzard revealed that all Diablo III accounts flagged for Diablo III Closed Beta access would receive a special Feat of Strength called One of the Chosen. This reward will never be awarded again, and grants a unique banner sigil to the lucky winners.
It’s not a stretch to call this decision wildly-controversial. Our news post has 177 comments, our main forum thread on the issue has 245 replies, the original B.net forum announcement post has gone 171 pages, and another thread created for complaints about it hit 170 pages in a day before Blizz locked it.
While the majority of the posts in those B.net threads seem to be from angry fans who 1) didn’t get into the closed beta, 2) are still scarred by that, and 3) regard a special reward offered only to closed beta testers as Blizzard ripping off their scab and pouring salt on the shiny pink flesh thus revealed. Not everyone hates it, though. Quite a few repliers thought it was fine for Blizzard to reward beta testers, while other people didn’t care one way or the other and just wanted to say “QQ, noob!” Adding to the “opinions are mixed” evidence is a vote in our forums, which is nearly 50/50 on support/disapprove about the reward.
So here’s a main page vote, with more options than two, since lots of people have said “you only support it since you got one — or — you only hate it because you didn’t!”
Vote quickly; this poll will close by Monday, when the big “wut clas 1st u plays?” vote gets underway.
D3 Closed Beta Feat of Strength; Your Opinion?
- 5) I didn't get it -- I do not approve of the award. (30%, 2,035 Votes)
- 1) I got it -- I approve of the award. (26%, 1,761 Votes)
- 3) Don't care/no opinion/achievements are dumb. (23%, 1,551 Votes)
- 4) I didn't get it -- I approve of the award. (16%, 1,052 Votes)
- 2) I got it -- I do not approve of the award. (5%, 372 Votes)
Total Voters: 6,766
Last Vote Results
The last vote only ran a couple of days, since I wanted to squeeze in another hot topic vote before launch time, but that was long enough for a representative sample of voters.
Do you prefer to see Character Names or BattleTags?
1) Character name should display in-game and chat. (43%, 2,432 Votes) 3) Give players the option of which to display and view. (32%, 1,785 Votes) 2) BattleTag should display in-game and chat. (15%, 856 Votes) 4) Don’t care/no opinion. (10%, 575 Votes)
Total Voters: 5,646
According to the numbers, most of you guys want character names, or some kind of hybrid display option, to show on your character in-game and in chat. Only a small 15% want BattleTags (as the system currently offers). This means we’ve got another example of B.net 2.0 offering precisely the features that Blizzard’s customers least desire.Related to this article