In the early days of Diablo 3 PTR, the patches went live and hardly anyone bothered to test them, since they didn’t contain big game changes and/or there were no incentives to grind for no lasting reward. That’s obviously changed since Reaper of Souls, and now when every patch goes up on the PTR the biggest complaint is that overcrowding makes it impossible to create or even join a game. Diablo 3 PTR Game Creation and Joining Problems:
Tyvalir: We totally hear you on the queue times, Gold0RaK!
It’s common for players to rush to test content at the start of a new PTR, resulting in queuing, which should diminish as the PTR progresses. In the meantime, we’re absolutely passing your comments on to the development team.
As others have pointed out, it’s likely that the buff to the Legendary drop rate is also affecting queue times. While we’re maintaining it right now so that we can quickly identify issues players find between Legendary items and Kanai’s Cube, we’ll be deactivating it again later, which should further help alleviate queue times.
we need to be able to go from game to game to farm the caches for the cube testing yet due to the server being crowded we can not do this testing.
Tyvalir: You make a good point, Gimboo. I’ll be passing this to the team. Thanks for the insight!
I probably have 100 legendaries, but could only use the cube on 3 of them because after hours of doing bounties, I ended up with only 3 of one resource. So if you really want players to test Kanai’s, drop the legendary rate and significantly boost the mat rate.
Edit: And Toots!
The lack of materials to use the cube is a real problem, with the endless game creation queues. This happens every testing season on the PTR, where the +2000% drop rate has players drowning in orange and green items, but many builds aren’t working right since no one has a RoRG. Back in March during the Season 2 PTR we even had a crisis where everyone was out of Blue materials since the +2000% means you hardly every find any blue items to salvage.
Bliz reacted to that by cutting most of the blue mat enchanting costs to 1, so they could certainly crank up the Cache material drops, just for the time being.
PTR game creation tips:
- The best advice for playing on the PTR is to to join a clan or get your friends playing on the PTR also, so you can invite them or the can invite you when/if anyone gets into a game.
- Play outside of peak hours. Six hour waits in prime time are 2 hour waits late night or early morning.
- Wait. There’s always a huge crush when the patch is brand new on the PTR, but it eases off after a few days or a week, especially if/when the +2000% buff rate is disabled.
- Play Hardcore. The wait to create a Hardcore game is usually a fraction that of a Softcore game.
- Try a different difficulty. The longest waits seem to be the game diff/mode that most people are in, and you’ll often see a MUCH shorter queue time if you try a lower difficulty or even go Story Mode.
- It seems weird that those last 2 work, but I’ve been on every D3 and RoS PTR right from the first moment they go live, and have seen it happen ever time, first hand and from conversation with others. It’s as if all the PTR B.net capacity is divided up like a pie chart with X amount of space devoted to each thing, but somehow they’ve always got far too little capacity for softcore T6 (T10 now?) and only slightly too little for other game modes. I got on this afternoon and created a T8 HC in about 10m, while everyone in the clan playing softcore was looking at 6+ hour waits.