With BlizzCon 2019 getting closer, a job posting on Blizzard’s site indicates that Blizzard is now considering Diablo 3 to be part of their “classics” selection. In other words, older games that they no longer develop but still support moving forwards.
Spotted by Battlechat, the job posting for a Senior Software Engineer is states the job will include the following:
- Driving feature implementation from planning to completion for Starcraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo III.
- Maintain and grow a production environment in a way that makes the system increasingly stable and resilient.
- Review logs and monitor data to diagnose and fix issues occurring on the live service.
- Liaise with embedded and external teams, create relationships and assist with shared initiatives.
- Participate in service capacity planning, demand forecasting, software performance analysis, and system tuning.
- Respond to and resolve emergent service problems by debugging systems and services.
- Diagnose networking, database and OS related problems.
- Share in off-hour / on-call duties.
Recently, Blizzard posted about their ongoing support for the game which indicated that there was no real development time being put into the game moving forward. It, therefore, comes as no surprise that the game is being shifted into the “classic” category.
Perhaps now we can move on and Diablo 4 will make some kind of appearance at BlizzCon, even if it is rumoured to be a cinematic reveal.