I posted a thread in our Diablo 3 Community Forum earlier this week in which I asked for feedback on Diablo 3 Legendary Item drops. It’s something I talk about with my D3 friends all the time, as we compare which legendary items we find the most and least often, how much Magic Find seems to really make a difference, etc.
My intention was to read a bunch of replies from you guys and collate the anecdotal data and turn that into a main page article. However, now that Blizzard has pointed out that forum post for their Community Commentary piece of the week, I might as well point to it from a post here, and give those of you who aren’t yet registered forum members an easy way to offer your feedback and opinions. Here are the initial questions, which you can answer some or all of at whatever length you see fit.
- Is there an amount of Magic Find that once you reach or exceed it you notice your legendary drops increasing noticeably?
- Have you ever gotten a legendary or set from a main quest or act boss on your first time through on any difficulty level? (I mean the first time you kill said boss, when you get that bonus multi-rare drop even with zero MF.)
- What are some legendary items or item types you see way more often than chance should provide?
- What are some legendary items or item types you see much less often than chance should provide?
- Where do you get most of your legendaries? Elites? Treasure Goblins? Golden chests? Trash mobs?
- Do you notice a correlation of higher item level = fewer of that particular item? Such as more Andy’s hats (lvl 62) vs. Mempos (lvl 63.)
- How do your sets vs. legendary drops compare in frequency? How about on item types that have a set and a leg, such as chest armor or rings/amulets?
- How do you feel about the overall frequency of legendary drops in D3? Would you like more or fewer, more with higher MF, more as a bonus on higher MP, more from Act Bosses, etc?
In the thread several people expressed interest in helping out with the data collection by keeping records of their own legendary finds. I think that would be awesome, and certainly more scientifically rigorous than just our mutual anecdotal memories. Here’s what I’m recording from now on for each orange or green item I find, and you’re welcome to join the group project. If people get into it I can make the forum thread sticky and people can update with their data dumps every time they find another 25 or 50 or 500 or whatever.
You can reply to the original questions in comments here, or use the forum thread for longer form and less transient conversation.
Update: Results thread now established. Track your Legendary finds and add them to the community database.Related to this article