A reminder that the Diablo III opening cinematic will premiere tonight, Saturday December 10th, during the Spke TV Video Game Awards show. Here’s Blizzard’s news plug for the event:
Be sure to tune into Spike TV’s Video Game Awards tomorrow night, December 10 at 8:00 p.m. / 7:00 p.m. Central. Diablo III’s full opening cinematic will make its world premiere during the show. It seems an appropriate time to share how the tone is set for our forthcoming game, as Spike has announced that they’ll bestow their second-ever Gamer God Award upon Blizzard Entertainment’s three founders, Mike Morhaime, Allen Adham, and Frank Pearce.
Check out Spike TV’s official announcement for all the show’s details and make sure your /popcorn is at the ready.
The post has a teaser image from the opening cinematic, which you can see to the right. I smallened it since I think we’ve all seen more than enough of Deckard Cain’s liver spots by now. But that’s not important right now!
1) What’s in the opening cinematic?
2) When in the show will the cinematic be shown?
3) Will we get a release date, as is customary when shown a trailer for an upcoming movie/game/etc?
4) Will the cinematic be posted online after the show?
5) Can you watch the Spike Awards online?
1) There’s debate about this in the forums, but I think it’s pretty easy to guess. We know the D3 cinematics are very closely tied to the story of the game, and we know how Act One begins; just after the “falling star” hit the Tristram Cathedral with the hero there to investigate it. We also know that Blizzard isn’t requiring or expecting D3 players to know anything about the story from the previous games.
Considering those facts, I’d say the opening cinematic will almost certainly be from Cain’s PoV, and will explain what’s happened in the story so far. Recap of D1 and D2 events (like Tyrael destroying the Worldstone), some flashbacks, and then coverage of the twenty years since Baal’s defeat, and the mystery Tyrael’s disappearance and Hell’s not-yet-invasion. This will lead right up to the present day, and we’ll likely see Cain in the Cathedral as the the falling star as it crashes down, tears through the floor down into the depths, etc.
Incidentally, we know that the opening cinematic is *not* the Black Soulstone movie from Blizzcon; a Blizzard CM has confirmed that one comes later in the game. It seems like we’ll see that one between Act 2 and 3, since it introduces Azmodan and the Hellish invasion, which we know are the key events in Act 3.
2) Good question. They might kick off the show with it, hold it until the end to keep us watching, or throw it up somewhere around the time the Bliz founders are trotted out to get their award.
3) I doubt it. We can hope, and they’ll have to say *something* about when, when they show the trailer for D3. But they may well just give us another, “Early 2012!” which would annoy us, but would be news to most people watching that show. As has been made clear dozens of times, we hardcore fans are not their target audience.
4) Yes, via Blizzard’s official You Tube channel. (Says Bashiok.) We’ll have a news post with links to the video as soon as it’s online.
5) Yes. People in the US, Canada, and Japan can watch the whole show live via vga.spike.com. People in the rest of the world have other, less-convenient options, which you can read about here.