Blizzard posted the patch notes for Beta Patch 3 – v.0.3.0.7338, and they list some coming features, along with bug fixes. Here’s the new stuff:
- Public Games are once again available to players. To help us test this automated matchmaking feature, click on “Campaign” and then select “Public Games.”
- The number of characters playing the selected public quest will now display in the Public Games menu.
The Diablo III Auction House is coming soon (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/services/auction-house/)! During the beta launch of this system, the following features will be enabled:
- Gold-based equipment exchange
- Bid, auto-bid, and buyout functionality
- Slot-based search filters
- Toast notifications to track auction progress
- The ability to put items up for auction directly from the shared stash
It’ll be a weird test of the Auction House since there’s relatively little content in the beta, it’s easy enough that players don’t need great items to succeed, the best items being crafted have Clvl reqs much too high to be used, and without any end game or Arena there’s nothing to push players to really min-max their characters for success. All that said, players will probably dabble in the Auction House just out of curiosity.
There won’t be any Real Money Trading in the Beta version of the Auction House, so apparently we’ll get that system for the first time with the final game. I doubt anyone would care enough about beta items to buy them anyway (though people would surely pay for beta access) but it would be interesting if Blizzard just handed everyone in the beta like $10 in Bobby Bucks™ (that would vanish once the beta ended) just to see how people would play around with them. I guess that wouldn’t work, since it wouldn’t be real money, but it would be something of a limited resource, since anyone can just play and get more gold, but you’d only have 10 Bobby Bucks™ total, unless you obtained more via trading. Which would give them some sense of the scarcity of real money.