Blizzard first posted this back on 13 February over a month before release but now RoS has landed and people are finding their stride the issue of crafting material management has surfaced once more. RoS didn’t bring any of the improvements mentioned back then but Blizzard are still working on getting them into the game.
Another update today reiterates what changes are likely to appear
Let me preface what I’m about to say with the caveat that any changes we make to crafting material management will come sometime down the road, but we don’t have a time frame to share at this point.
- All crafting materials would be moved to a currency-style storage in the UI. Think something similar to Blood Shards.
- All crafting materials would become auto pickup, except for LEGENDARY crafting material. (Legendary crafting material would still be automatically stored as a currency, but players must click on it to pick it up.)
- All crafters would pull crafting materials from this storage area for recipes.
- Crafting materials that the player doesn’t currently own would appear in grey text with a 0 counter.
- Players could mouse over the icons of all crafting material to get the full tooltip of the item. This includes greyed out ones.
- Currently, we do not intend to store gems in this way because it would make socketing items feel clunky.
I don’t know about everyone else but my stash gets full pretty quickly as I save up items for other characters and of course gems which take up an inordinate amount of space for what they are so freeing up the half a tab the materials currently occupy will be very welcome.
I don’t know the reason why legendary mats would not auto pick up but all others do.
Related to this article