On-hand to talk about the future of Diablo 3 was Kevin Martens, Wyatt Cheng, Adam Puhl, Joe Shely, and Travis Day. There really was not a massive amount of new stuff to fill up a whole hour and the Q&A was pretty lackluster once again.
Read all the content from the panel which is also peppered with shots to illustrate some of the changes and features.
The team went over what they discussed on day one which included.
- Anniversary event – The Darkening of Tristram
- The Armory
- The Necromancer Pack
The first topic was that seasons are coming to consoles. We won’t recap that here because everyone here already knows how these work on PC. If you don’t know what Seasons are, just go to the Diablo Wiki
New Diablo 3 Features
Wyatt took the stage to talk about more features.
- In a future patch, there will be a dedicated spot for all crafting materials – A new UI outside of the inventory slots
- Icons on item pickup.
- Kanai’s cube single button to fill up all materials for a recipe
- The Mystic has an extra tab containing all dyes removing the need to run around the vendors.
- Another bonus roll on legendary gems if you complete a greater rift without dying.
Adventure Mode Changes
New zones in Act 2 in the North of Caldeum
- The Shrouded moors, windswept desolate place.
- Temple of The Firstborn – Oldest places in Sanctuary. A place where Lilith came and where humanity first set foot in Sanctuary. “Lovecraftian vibe”.
- Reams of Fate – Portal zones to move between zones.
New Monsters are also being added as shown
- A new way to spawn monsters which means no more huge areas without monsters. This is based on a new algorithm in 2.4.3.
- You will more likely see different tile sets in 2.4.3. The size of each floor is also more consistent
- Entrances will now be safe.
- Leaping monsters can now be killed in mid-air
- Invisible monsters will now emerge sooner. This also applies to burrowing monsters.
- Reflect damage will now send back a projectile so you can dodge it.
- Shielding cancels instantly.
Legendary Items Patch 2.4.3 Changes
- Saffron Wrap
- Manald Heal
- Faithful Memory
- Rabid Strike
- Hellcat Waistguard
- The Barber
A race for your fastest time in a Greater Rift
- Same hero build and Items for all players
- Same Dungeon Layout
- Same monsters and Pylons
- This will be updated frequently
- They want players to discover things you may not have seen before. There’s a variety of classes and builds.
- You get to learn the layout and become more effective on the build. In other words, you know the layout so you can get faster and faster times.
- You can compete with friends and other on Leaderboards.
- Rewards – Beat original runner’s time.
- Multiplayer – Everyone can jump into the Rift and everyone has the same build.
Kevin Martens wrapped up with a closing thanking the community. It sounded like a desperate plea for the Diablo community to stick with them and I get the feeling they know they have dropped the ball and development time is very, very slow.
Next came the Q&A session which once again contained many, many useless questions. I really wish that one year someone would really quiz the team on their decisions and not just say “I really love what you have done with…”.
Q: Toggling walk or run? Are you ever going to have that?
Q: Since all seven of the greater evil are in the black Soulstone. Where’s Tathamet?
That logic doesn’t follow. Diablo became the prime evil. We’re not going to spoil anything at this point.
Q: What are the Necromancer only weapons or armour? What kind of weapons are you designing the class to use?
A: The class weapon is scythes. The Bone shield is because we had no idea what to put in his off-hand. The current talk is he will have main hand/ off hand combo.We’re still trying to figure it out. I twill function like Wizard or Witch Doctor.
Q Any plans for more lore based dungeons?
A: In a way. The new zones we have, one is a dungeon, one is exterior. Similar to ruins of Sescheron there will be lore moments in there. The Temple will have story moment in it. But most people play adventure mode.
Q: Any plans fo more CGI movies for the storyline, like Overwatch etc.
A: We have not. We had the necro yesterday. As far as more story element, we’re often looking to add more ways add more lore to the world. even if you have read the books, We are trying to put lore story in but don’t have anything to say about movies right now.
Q: Played the necro as my main. Could you bring back Bone wand as the main weapon?
A: I don’t think we will go with that as the main weapon but I can see us doing some Bone Wand weapon for Necros.
Q: I was noticing that in the Challenge Rift demo the player was to just skipping all the white monsters. Is that indicative of the strategy?
A: It depends on the build. Other builds are focused on killing non-elite monsters as well. The optimal strategy will change based on what it is.
Q: What other character were you thinking about putting back into the game other than the Necro?
A We had an idea for new classes. Druids were popular in the office, Amazon etc. I think we feel nostalgic for the Necromancer and seemed like the right guy for this year.
Q: Are you wanting new annual events or more permanent things?
A We lean towards more permanent things. But this is our first annual event and we’ll see who that goes. If having it less frequent we’ll do that. That said we wanted it to last for a long time so a whole month.
Q: Will Armory hold items or do they need to be in the stash/inventory?
A: They will need to be in the inventory/stash.
Q: Are you going to support a controller on the PC or mac?
A: No plans
Here is a video of the panel but it probably won’t stay online for long.