Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Talman's Windwolf

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Talman, Mar 18, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 4030

1. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

Apr 5, 2007

Hello I made a little build that is more viable than some crazy stuff I tried in my days so here goes:

The Windwolf

This is a build I had in mind for a fair while ever since there were those Auradins that got good dmg from using dual Dream-runewords together with the synergies that go with the Holy Shock skill. So I tested it today with Hero Editor and I got fun results, did not take much time to pick the 'perfect' gear for it yet, but I have an idea. (the resistances were kind of bad still, that's not my main worry atm, I wanna write this build down right now).

What is it?
    It's a fury wolf that ideally uses Stormlash as a weapon and has all the synergies for Tornado maxed. (I tested with Horizon's Tornado: already works greatly! I guess Rift runeword is the last option but it is probably too slow for comfort). More about skills in the skill section.

Prerequisites: 1 pt
    Grizzly: 1 pt (Use it to scout things out up ahead and draw aggro)
    Cyclone Armor: 20 pts (You can actively use this, but it's a pain to change back and forth between Forms)
    Twister: 20 pts
    Hurricane: 20 pts
    Lycantrophy: 20 pts (it's important to max this for Life as I think we're gna have to ignore any kind of Oak/Wolverine Spirit)
    Werewolf: Enough to hit a decent Attack Speed frame, with 50% IAS flail you can leave it at lvl 1 and use the + skills from gear.

The REST you can put into Fury or Oak Sage in my opinion, we are looking to lower health with our static + CB and finish off with tornadoes anyway so we would only need more points in Fury for Attack Rating purposes.

Str: 146 with gear (for the ethereal spirit monarch you will use for your CTA switch), find 10 more str to bug your Stormshield on.
    Dexterity: Enough for your weapon, blocking stops our furying (citation needed)
    Vitality: Rest
    Energy: Nothing

Gear (this is what I would use, of course there will be alternatives which you may point out below)

I have some standard items I stick to on all my melee builds, but you will see this as we go along. It might be good to get some fhr because we don't wanna get fhr-locked in the crowds and the wolf has quite a short recovery animation, I would try to get 42 or 86%.

Ideally: Stormlash ('Shael'): Mean Crushing Blow and chance to cast Static (SICK!)
    2nd place: Horizon's Tornado ('Eth')
    Last place just to mention it: Rift Runeword in Caduceus (still too slow)

On switch: Call to arms Crystal Sword and Ethereal Spirit Monarch (but I never have enough means to focus on this luxury)

I have deliberately left out the Ethereal options of the above uniques because in my opinion you simply can not find a Zod rune during casual-play. Also if you want to, you can 'Ber' the Horizon's Tornado, but you would better give a Ber to your friend, he will make something more useful with it.

Ideally: Stormshield socketed with either a perfect gem to fill in that resistance you are missing or 'Um', maybe even 'Shael' to get to the next block rate frame.

Ideally: Fortitude in the Light Armor of your choice: DAMAGE and some resistances (not sure if we need this raw damage though :eek: )
    Alternatively: Chains of Honor will help you get much needed resistances and a bit DR%, but you will have to rely on the damage from your Tornado's
    Alternatively: Duress, Resistances and more Crushing Blow
    Alternatively: Shaftstop (when you choose not to use a shield)
    Alternatively: Duriel's Shell, Life + Resistances + cbf
    Maybe: Rain Druid Armor: Chance to cast Cyclone Armor and Twister :O?

Ideally: Jalal's Mane (upgraded) 'Um', ('Cham') or 'Shael': Resistances, Attack Rating and the skills needed for your Werewolf Attack Speed. Cham's 'Cannot be Frozen' allows you to use a different ring instead of Ravenfrost if you wish to do so.

Ideally: Thundergod's Vigor: 'What?' I use it on every character, survive more souls plix.
    Possible: String of Ears, Verdungo's (prefer the second as your damage won't be enough to leech from)

Ideally: Blood crafted gloves with Crushing Blow and Dual Leech, you NEED at least a source of mana leech.
    Why not Dracul's Grasp: Life Tap will override your Decripify (cf. infra) so I would not recommend it.

1) Angelic's Halo: MOTHERLOAD of Attack Rating (combination with Amulet) + bit of Life
    1) Dual Leech rare or crafted ring with nice mods (when you're going the Metalgrid route)
    2) Raven Frost: I can't live without the 'Cannot be Frozen' on this

Ideally: Angelic Wings: Another bit of Life, only in combination with its ring: Angelic Halo
    OR Metalgrid: good bit of AR and more resistances + gives room for a Dual Leech Ring

Ideally: Goreriders: Crushing blow and Deadly Strike
    2nd Place: Goblin's Toe (upped): More Crushing Blow, but no Deadly Strike. If you don't mind slower walking (I don't + you can use Feral Rage to walk faster), you can use these boys.

- Druid Torch
    - Annihilus
    - Resistance grand charms, Max/AR or shape skillers with life or fhr
    - Max/AR/Life or Resistance/fhr Smallcharms

(This is much dependent on your needs, I tested without torch and anni, because it is not likely I will acquire these during my casual-play)

Only one option here: Barbarian mercenary called Wulf or Ulf, he is your best friend! Act 2 mercs are pussies, don't use them.

Ethereal Legend Sword with Lawbringer Runeword: DECRIPIFY Your tornado's and Fury will do 50% more damage and mobs will do 50% less + be crippled to the point of silly sausage.

Ethereal bugged 3 Socket armor with Treachery Runeword: More attack speed for more Decripify spamming and chance to cast lvl 15 Fade of course! 60 more resistances and 15% more Damage Reduction for Wulf, that is when he really becomes a kinky bastard!

(Ethereal) Vampire Gaze, socket with anything you like really, Ulf is immortal with all this stuff.

Thank you for reading, I have edited this build a few times on the Gauss forums, but I feel like I'm finished. Of course feel free to share your insight and suggestions, but I won't be following this thread to re-optimize every little detail. (There's a lot of 'me' in the build, by which I mean that you can derive my playstyle and play-identity from the item/merc choices (if that even makes sense)).

Yes it's 2013 :D
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  2. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Nov 5, 2005
    I know this is a couple of weeks old, but Vox Dei has a patriarch thread in the single player forum with this name and main weapon. He went with dual Carrion Wind's for twister procs!
  3. Erfel

Erfel IncGamers Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Nice build... i also had a similar idea about it, i'm gonna try it :)

I love act5 merc, but i think (obviously i'd have to try it first) you will have a low attack rating... blessed aim merc could really help, with a reaper's toll to get decripify.
    In this way you could use metalgrid and raven frost/dual leech ring instead of angelics, also getting a lot more resistance... i would never use a melee char without resistances maxed
  4. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

Apr 5, 2007
    I didn't know, I searched for a similar build, but couldn't find one... I was pretty sure I wouldn't be original with this though, thx :D
  5. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

Jun 7, 2005
    You forgot to mention Windhammer. There are a bunch of others that did this and a bit better at that.