Patch 2.3.1 on the PTR made a lot of changes, especially to the Witch Doctor. Much discussion of that class, plus Reflects Damage changes, Kanai’s Cube tweaks, Paragon 2000 is broken, and more. Featuring Xanth, Empty1, and Flux. Click through for more details and segment starting times.
One Life to Live: Bringing Back The QQPosted 7 Mar 2014 by
Welcome back Everyone! I can’t speak for you all but I assume your friends list is bursting with new life, and your clan (IncHC or IncHC2) is showing how popular the game is again.
That being said, the influx of people is also bringing back the QQ on Hardcore death. Death is a part of the mode, and while it sucks when it happens, complaining on the forums won’t do you much good. So let’s set aside the common arguments and move on to release.
So you’ve died and you are frustrated let’s cover what not to do.
1. Don’t flock to the forums to complain: Chances are no matter what happened there will be no empathy for you. Expect to be told what direction softcore is. To the best of my knowledge it’s that way —> If there was a legit bug that caused you to die then by all means report it to other players. If you were griefed you might be able to warn others but the battle.net forums prevent you from calling other players out so you might want to pass the message through your clan. 99% of the time complaining about you death will not help you in any way other than to continue your frustration.
2. Don’t come up with crazy suggestions to “fix” hardcore. In all seriousness stop suggesting ways to keep your dead hardcore character. Yes Path of exile allows you to roll it into a soft core character, Diablo does not. If you want your character to still be around when you die play soft core. Hardcore does not need a safety net, with the inclusion of the paragon system your progress is already saved and the largest loss is now from gear. Introducing this would only further distill the essence of the mode. Hardcore should be about avoiding and fearing death to an extent, knowing your character will still thrive after you lose them would degrade the whole mode.
3. Don’t complain about your disconnect. Disconnects are a part of the game, for some it’s more prevalent, for others it isn’t. If you are d/c prone then HC isn’t for you. Hardcore is about calculating risk, if you want to play on a dial up modem in a rainstorm on hardcore you know the risk. If you drop every now and then, than you must anticipate it happening at some point with your character. If you’re not ready to accept losing your character then you’re not ready to play hardcore, good connection or not.
3b. Don’t complain about online only requirement. It’s been two years, stop beating the dead horse.
So what should you do when you die?
1. Assess the damage. What did you lose? What do you have left to build back up? What did you learn from that death?Do you have a geared and ready 60(70) to play with or are you re-rolling?
2. Archive your hero and continue playing.
It’s pretty simple actually. After you die if you feel like you can’t do that then HC isn’t for you. Death can suck and be frustrating and you might need a breather but it is what makes the mode what it is. If death wasn’t meaningful there would be no point to the mode. If a safety net was in place it would be exploited, and HC death would be pointless. This doesn’t even take into account how watered down death is now anyway. Losing a character will still sting but you are no longer losing your characters progress, and rebuilding is easier now than ever.
On a separate note about death, Can we please get a notice in chat from our HC friends and clan mates when they die? With our clans up and running all the time it would be nice to see if anyone hit a snag and be able to offer help coming back. In d2 we would create games stating our demise and people would meander in bring gifts of gear and gold and the occasional rush. It would be nice to see that and help our fellow players who may not ask for the help otherwise.
In the meantime let’s keep the qq to a minimum, grind some paragons, and get ready for Reaper of Souls! I’m going crusader once I get adventure mode unlocked, what’s your HC ROS plan?
One Life to Live covers the Hardcore play and life style in the Diablo community. It is written by Xanth and published weekly. Post your comments below, Follow him on Twitter @HCXanth or contact the author directly. For all the archived news about Diablo 3 hardcore check our Archives!