A quick guide to how the new Kanai’s Cube works, based on first hand playing experience overnight, after defeating the invincible 4+ hour game creation queue! Kanai’s Cube Hands-On Tutorial short version:
- Fetch the Cube from the Ruins of Sescheron dungeon; Act Three, Adventure Mode only.
- Bliss out to the soothing conversation of Zoltan’s Kulle story, bro.
- The cube has seven recipes, all of which could use a bit better documentation and functionality.
- Bounty farm in ALL FIVE ACTS, because the powerful Cube recipes require at least 1 each of the five new materials that can only be obtained from Horadric Caches in each act.
- Spend way too long looking over every legendary item in your stash, trying to figure which to melt into the cube for the bonus property.
- Activate 3 properties and immediately obliterate your best Grift to date.
The cube properties are awesome and very impactful, even when you’re not sure which you want to roll with. I didn’t have any real impactful weapon adds to my physical damage Natalya’s (dual wielding Nats/Calamity), but adding a Unity (F/R equipped) and Hexing Pants greatly improved my character’s performance. Without changing any gear, I took a char that could struggle ugh a GR45~ on the live realm at great personal danger, and just by adding the 3 properties via the Cube I did GR48 in 9 minutes, with almost no feeling of danger. (When I have time to play some more, clearing 50+ will be no problem, even without gear switching.)
The item bonuses via Kanai’s Cube are awesome, even better than I’d hoped. They’re so good you’ll farm even those endless Act Five bounties with a smile. (Or at least without a frown.)
- Also see the Kanai’s Cube Q&A for lots of answers to specific cube questions, such as why you can’t double dip the same property.
Finding Kanai’s Cube
First of all, you need to find it. The Ruins of Sescheron is the area you need, and it’s found in Act Three, only through Adventure Mode. The only game I was able to create, there was a Cursed Chest bounty in that area, and after clearing that I explored more of the second level and found the Cube inside part of the crumbling castle. I assume the Cube is there every game, while the bounty in that area is RNG.
There’s nothing to fight or kill to get the Cube; you just have to find it on the large and maze-like map, click it, and then when you return to town the Cube is on a stand next to Zoltan Kulle, in town.
Here are some screens of that portion of the adventure:
Click through for all the rest, including the 7 Cube Recipes, screens showing all the weapons, jewelry, and armor you can use with a Barb or a DH, more about the interface, etc.